Friday, December 28, 2018

people I love at Christmas



































My pictures from this Christmas are pretty much just all of my favorite subjects:  people I love. I didn't take any pictures of presents under the tree, very few of the numerous baked goods I made, or decorations.  I pulled up my photos afterward and glanced through, smiling to see just face after face. Usually I am self-conscious or forget to use my camera during holidays or celebrations, but I decided to go for it this year and now I'm glad I did!

Over the actual days of Christmas we were with my family this year, and it was so joyful and fun.  We got to spend a significant amount of time with each of my brothers and their wives, as well as my parents, and extended family all tucked into three days!

This year after watching White Christmas, sweet Rosie came to me and said, "Mama!  I looked in the mirror and I look like the older sister in the movie!  What's her name again?"  -- Betty, I said.  Her joy was made complete when my mom told her the important detail that the real name of the actress was Rosemary, just like my girl!  Our little Betty was so much fun this year, being so interested in Christmas, and so excited about the gifts she was giving.  She was more excited for me to open her gift than she was, I think, about anything under the tree with her name on it.  

Lyddie had been begging for a new pillow because *embarrassed grin* her old one was so flat.  So I sewed each girl their own new pillowcase and surprised them each with big fluffy pillows!  She is changing so much, a little self-conscious when she is goofy but not so self-conscious that she ISN'T goofy.  Which I love.  She is helpful and kind and beautiful and loved her new American Girl doll from her Mimi and Poppi. Rosie wants to be just like her big sister. 

Millie told me this year that she enjoys giving gifts more even than receiving them.  She likes how it helps her show people that she loves them, which rings true since she is always leaving me little gifts and drawings and notes on my pillow.  She also is very concerned right now with being different than the other two girls, which seems to me like a very middle-child thing to think about.  She was very excited that she got the blue china tea set when the other two both have green.  Also she is relieved that her cast is off and gone and she is back to normal.  Praise the Lord for her healing!

I loved spending the time with all our family this week and continue to be excited to know my adult siblings.  I moved away when my youngest two brothers were still young and they are all such grown men now, fun to be with, kind and strong, and loving to our girls.  We are so loud, and so fun, and so rambunctious, our people.  I miss them when I'm away!  

Since coming home, I have sat and been still for long amounts of time.  It is so tempting to try to tackle all the cleaning and tidying and unpacking and laundry all at once.  Instead, I have held myself back, allowed an hour or two of tasks and then done something restful. This is good for me.  Motherhood and ministry at Christmas means a flurry of constant activity beginning in early November, and I realized I am tired out. So now I knit myself a hat, cross stitch a little spring time sampler from Posie Gets Cozy and think about doing some drawing, my newfound interest.  As if I didn't have enough to keep myself busy lately, I find myself thinking about and planning little drawings for when I might have time.  I never knew I enjoyed drawing and painting so much and have never identified myself as artistic  - and not that I'm very good at all, but it is a source of happiness to me that I think I will develop more this coming year. 

So now we prepare to push on into the new year, and who knows what it may bring? 



No comments:

Post a Comment