Thursday, October 25, 2007

Dan in Real Life



Dan in Real Life comes out tomorrow in theaters around the country. By beautiful chance, Jesse and I got to go see it in a sneak preview last Saturday.

I won't give anything away, but I just had to say that is so far my favorite movie of the year. I think I would put it in the top 10 of all movies I've ever seen. In summary, if you haven't seen the previews, it's a movie about a single dad (Steve Carrell) and his 3 daughters (4th grade, 15ish, and 18). The movie takes place in a weekend they spend away at an annual family reunion. The portrayal of the entire family is realistic and genuine, with quirks, mistakes, insecurities, nosiness, loudness, and general insanity. It was almost exactly how I picture my family one day, once all my brothers are married and we all have kids of our own.
It's a really tender story that had me laughing and crying the entire way through.

I don't remember too much objectionable content, either. There was probably some swearing (?) and definitely some innuendo, but any possible sex scenes were left to the imagination, unmarried couples were required to sleep in separate rooms, etc. This only sold me more on the value of the movie.

In short, I loved the movie. I knew I wanted to see it again before it came out on DVD, so Jesse and I are planning to go see it again with my mom and dad tomorrow night. I highly recommend it if you like real stories about real issues and real people.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment