Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Yarn. Ice. Eggs. Snow. Cookies.




I am still working on my Sugared Violets wrap and still love it.  Canopy Fingering.  Yum.  I panicked today because my mom showed me this magical knot for joining two ends of yarn together that is supposedly impossible to get apart.  I looked at my knitting while taking pictures and saw a small hole halfway through the work.  I turned the work over and oh MY GOSH only one end was visible and it was untied. Adrenaline rush.  I frantically extricated the missing end and tied them together unprofessionally (like... as if I was tying a shoe) and looked more closely.  No stitches seem dropped so I will just have to finagle a little weaving in somehow to cover the pulled spot.  I am so thankful that nothing came unraveled, and I think I have Yarn Along to thank because I noticed it through the lens of my camera as I was snapping pictures and might not have looked that closely otherwise. 
Disaster.  Averted.  

Whew.  

My dear husband, who was out working two nights ago and then went out to watch football last night, required that I take a couple hours to myself and head into town to do whatever I wanted.  I sometimes use this time to run errands kid-free but I refused this time, knowing the joy and peace I would get from sitting in a coffee shop knitting and reading.  

This always restores my mind to balance, the rhythmic back and forth of the needles and then leisurely picking up my book to read a chapter if I want, or not... I am listening to The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton via the CraftLit podcast and, though several weeks behind, am going to catch up again to the current podcast eventually.  I put aside Age in favor of Dracula for a couple months, but as I finished listening to Dracula yesterday, I went back to poor Newland Archer.  I expect that this book will have a tragic ending, but I suppose we'll see.  

And I am reading the other books pictured above.  Food in Jars is excellent and I would like to buy it for my shelf.  I follow the Food in Jars blog and love the idea of small-batch canning, especially for our lifestyle.  It is much easier to Put Up a few jars in an evening than to schedule several days through the year for large batch canning.  A few, yes.  But not too many days available like that.  



  













Our chickens are beginning to lay better again.  We were getting maybe... one or two eggs a day for a few months, so we put a heat lamp in the coop to increase the number of hours of light they are getting.  Finally we are getting between 3-6 eggs per day again.  We will incubate more chicks this spring, I think, but until they start laying, I am happy to have increased production.  

A sheet of ice covered everything this morning when I went out; we must have had freezing rain overnight, and then snow came through this evening.  My girls were dancing happy in the dusky light.

Rosie is starting to sleep through the night, at least sometimes.  She wakes at least once most nights, fussing, but I just pat her or move her to the pack n play in the guest room so she doesn't wake her sisters, and let her fuss until she goes back to sleep.  Thanks to my friend Lucy, who encouraged me to move ahead on this instead of second-guessing my instincts.  I am having an easier time waking up a bit earlier in the morning, too, since the night interruptions are a little less than before when I was still feeding baby in the middle of the night.  I like being able to rise early but I was really struggling to do that the past few months, especially with it so dark in the morning. Early rising enables me to get ahead on the housework and have time for making cookies with my girlies!

Joining in with Ginny and others for Yarn Along.  Can't wait to see what others are up to this week!

16 comments:

  1. What cute kiddos!

    Oh my goodness, I would have freaked if I saw a hole like that. I am so glad that you were able to catch it and fix it!

    And now I want cookies. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (And I just added you to people I follow via GFC!)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Those cookies were delicious- melskitchencafe.com, chocolate M&M cookies. Yum!

      Delete
  2. I loved Sugared Violets. I have just tried that magic knot in a shawl I'm doing - I hope I don't find holes in it. I will search as I knit though. Stay warm with all that ice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope hope it works for you! The one time I did it myself it came out and this time my mom did it and it still came out...maybe I am inordinately rough with my knitting? Haha!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:36 AM

    What cuties! I'm a little jealous of the sleep - my littlest has horrible sleep habits and I'm really at a loss to deal with it. :(
    Your wrap is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hear ya! I guess the trick for our family really (I know many object to tjis philosophy but for us it's the only practical course of action...) is to let them figure out that night time is not an acceptable "up" time...even if screaming anger ensues.my ipod is my nighttime friend ;-) I still deal with this off and on with my 2 year old who just doesn't want to be alone in her bed...no nightmares, just wants to cuddle...and maybe someday I'll miss that or maybe I will just be so thankful for a whole nights sleep!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:49 AM

    Sarah, I love reading your blog. I'm sure when you talk about going to a coffee shop and reading and knitting your mom is thinking how much she would love to join you in doing that! Thanks!... and keep posting!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy! I wish I could be with my mom knitting too! We do usually make time to go out and knit together when I am over in Seattle visiting!

      Delete
  5. How is She of Innocence? I have it in my e-library but haven't started it yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really really interesting. I love listening to it with some commentary because it gives further insight into cultural references or ideals I might have missed. Wharton is incredible at adopting a snarky yet intelligent tone about the subset of society she was considered a part of. I am enjoying it and it makes my brain work (in a good way)

      Delete
  6. Wow, people who manage to fit canning into their lives are heroes. Go you! (I'm more of a freezer-cooking type myself. :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'm terribly successful at it...which is why small batch canning sounds reasonable to attempt! I always admire ladies who have their freezer stocked with meals- do you just double what you're making or do once a month style? I need to do more freezer meals...right now it's basically just the leftover soup...

      Delete
  7. Anonymous10:40 AM

    Didn't CraftLit do an excellent job with Dracula? I was so glad I found the podcast and listened to it. I, too, am behind on the Age of Innocence. I'll catch up eventually. I hear that Heather will be doing North and South next. So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Ehren Zeigler was incredible as Seward. And I do love Elizabeth Klett's voice! It was so much fun to listen that way.
      North and South...fun! I was considering also going back to listen to connecticut Yankee since I've never read that one.

      Delete
  8. We are knitting the same shawl, isn't it a fantastic pattern? I know I'm making this one again and again. I remember when the kids oh so long ago would sleep through the night, good times!!! Stay toasty warm :)

    ReplyDelete