Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Yarn Along, June 3



Blues, blues, blues!  I keep gravitating toward blues right now, although this wool soaker is only blue because it was the only wool (Cascade 220) I had in my stash that would work for a soaker right now while I wait for new yarn to arrive from Knit Picks.  I love KP but have to say that every order I have placed with them gets her so slowly!  I finished knitting up that sweet little shrug but still need to pick out a button to go with it!

When I check out a book twice from the library, it must be a winner - and Food in Jars definitely is a winner!  The recipes look incredible, and I'm sure they are, if they're anything like the ones I've used from her blog by the same name in the past.  They are simple, small batch canning recipes which is perfect for our budget, since I can usually afford to buy a few extra bundles of whatever is in season and put them up a little at at time.  I think I may try pickling asparagus again one of these days - one of my favorite treats and Jesse's eyes lit up at the thought, so they are apparently one of his favorite things too.  I am settling into The Scent of Water and enjoying it's rambly story.  It is set in the English post-war countryside and the story-telling fits the setting.  Quiet with complex and sweet characters that are easy to relate to.  The only problem is that it is quiet enough that I can't pick it up and make much progress for 5 minutes here and there during the day like I can with other faster-paced books - so I pretty much only read it before bed at night which might mean it won't get finished before it has to be returned to the library.  Still, I'd like to try because it is the kind of book that makes me feel peaceful and rested each time I pick it up.  I am pretty sure that eventually the main character, Mary, will be pulled into God's grace as she is obviously searching for Him yet unaware of her search.

This is a busy and exciting week - summers on the Rez are really incredible to experience as the body of Christ comes from all over the States to pour God's love into the beautiful children and families we live among every week of the year.  It is incredible to see the visitors also be poured into - by the community and by God as He makes good on His beautiful promise in Isaiah 58:

If you pour yourself out for the hungry 
and satisfy the desire of the afflicted,
then shall your light rise int he darkness
and your gloom be as the noonday. 

And the Lord will guide you continually 
and satisfy your desire in scorched places
and make your bones strong;

and you shall be like a watered garden,
like a spring of water, 
whose waters do not fail.

---Joining up with Ginny for Yarn Along, as always on Wednesday!

7 comments:

  1. What a sweet little cardigan. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a tendency to go towards blue myself. I just love all the different shades! And I agree - Knit Picks is not the fastest when it comes to shipping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness! What a thrill to see your shrug! Thank you so much, Sarah. :) Can't wait to see what button you pick out.

    Sadly, our church was too late to sign up to come this summer; Dan still wants to visit, though, on behalf of WPC to see how we can get involved. Lord willing, we can meet each other in person. :)

    I love your writing style, Sarah. And the verse you shared, how compelling...

    xo, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable little shrug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That shrug is too sweet! I will have to check out The Scent of Water! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blues :) that last book you mentioned sounds good to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made a few things from the Food In Jars blog. She has a small batch spiced plum jam which is my go-to when my plum tree runneth over!

    ReplyDelete