Sunday, December 21, 2014

Light, Hallelujah














How better to celebrate the birth of the Light of the World than with all forms of light?  

And can you believe the God of the universe, who made each cell and molecule and who made the grandest landscapes had his diapers changed by a teenage girl?

And those three gifts, so unfitting for a baby yet so fitting for a King - gold, frankincense to burn on an altar, and myrrh to anoint the dead.  The Magi, so certain they would find a King in a palace were willing to lay aside their expectations and give their majestic gifts to a child whose birth happened in a barn.

The season of Advent always leaves me with such wonder and wonderings.

On the way to church this morning to celebrate this fourth Sunday of Advent I'll admit it; I didn't hold it together.  We were on the way to our church service populated by people the world has simply cast aside as worthless but that God has declared Beautiful and Worth-It-All.  I knew we were going to see the Christmas story reenacted by children who have experienced neglect, abuse, and sorrow upon sorrow. I knew I would gets hugs from children who might not know where one or both parents are and get to break bread with those who were truly physically hungry in a way I can't say I've experienced. 

As we drove by the barren, brown fields, the Hallelujah Chorus came on and my children in the backseat watched quizzically through the rearview mirror at the crazy lady driving with one hand up in the air waving, tears streaming down cheeks, unable to even sing but instead just mouthing the words. The music poured from the speakers and I had one of those moments when my soul just up and moved.

Hallelujah!

For the Lord God Omnipotent reigneth

The kingdom of this world is become the Kingdom of our Lord and

OF HIS CHRIST

And He shall reign for ever and ever
King of Kings forever and ever!

And Lord of Lords forever and ever!

And He shall reign forever and ever!

Hallelujah!

Even now, fourteen hours later as I type these words the tears well up and I lose my place in time while my wild imagination runs away to picture the meaning behind these words. 

"Mommy, why are you crying?" came the question when the last swell of music had faded.  

"Well, honey-girl.  I'm crying because I am happy and I am sad.  That song makes me happy because it reminds me that Jesus is powerful and in charge of everything and is coming back to make all the sad and bad things undone.  But it makes me sad too because it reminds me that there are all the sad and bad things still and it makes me feel sad because He hasn't yet come back to make it all better yet."

"Oh."  The thoughtful digesting continued in quiet, my prayers silently moving upward as we flew past sleeping fields and stark trees.

Come, Lord Jesus, Light of the World!  Wipe the tears, bind the wounds, woo your beloved, shine brightly in the darkness.  Be in me and through me until you come again and let me be and see your hands wiping tears, binding wounds and wooing your beloved.  You are the King over all Kings forever and ever - oh fearsome Omnipotent Lord God, come again soon so we all with the angels can sing "Holy holy holy" in your beautiful presence and awe and wonder at your face and all your mighty acts.  

1 comment:

  1. I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete