Wednesday, July 13, 2016

violets everywhere


A Distant Rainshower

I love when on a summer's day
I see the clouds rise far away
Into towering foam
Then trace below the sheets of rain
Sweeping toward the sun-parched plain
From the capricious dome

And hurrying take the laundry in
Before it gets soaked through again
The wind begins to blow
A patter of scattered raindrops here
Prompts children to throw up a rowdy cheer
And scan for the bright rainbow
                                      July 12, 1016

Quick little stitches on a Violet Cap make any discovered quiet time feel so restful.  Fibre Company's Canopy Fingering is my ideal yarn and I think I could knit almost exclusively with it.  It is so soft, knits up for me so smoothly every time I use it and the slight color variation in each skein is my favorite.  At first I wasn't completely convinced about the brim being a different color than the body but as the body keeps growing I have decided I really like it. It will look sweet with my Sugared Violets in the same yarn. So many violets!
When not knitting or canning (apricots!) or doing other regular motherly duties this week, I'm trying to read as fast as I can before books are due back to the library.  The Chestnut King by N.D. Wilson is g-r-e-a-t.  I will miss all the characters when the series is over in another couple hundred pages.  The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge is a completely different kind of book and equally fun.  I didn't realize there would be magical elements but it look like it's leaning that direction.  Never something to complain about in   Last, but not least, I'm so encouraged by re-reading For the Children's Sake.  Encouraged largely because I have read and studied enough by and about Charlotte Mason that this read-through feels like a spurring on review and that makes me really happy to realize how well-acquainted I now am with her philosophy and realize how many of her common sense and practical ideas I have intentionally built into our family life and parenting a little at a time over the past several years. Challenged because I see gaps where I can improve.  

I'm linking to Ginny for Yarn Along this week.  A question specifically for my knitting friends: I have this gorgeous little skein of natural colored qiviut/merino blend (70/30), just 180 yards of 2 ply light fingering.This yarn was a special gift from a friend and I have long been considering what to do with it. Any great patterns you might have used that require this amount of yarn?  Maybe a favorite smallish lacy cowl?

4 comments:

  1. There is an adorable little "shawl"on ravelry called Doolittle Shawl. It would be perfect and you could wrap it around the neck like a cowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't knit with that wool and you are making me want to!! I love reading about other people's favorite go to fibers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading For the Children's Sake, but it would not hurt to read it again. Unfortunately my copy is packed away somewhere in a box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will have to try that hat as it bears my name!

    ReplyDelete