Wednesday, October 05, 2016

yarn along: portland sweater


Sing a song of seasons!
Something bright in all!
Flowers in the summer,
Fires in the fall!
-- Robert Louis Stevenson, from "Autumn Fires"

The days are cooling off and we add an extra blanket to our bed.  I fly through the days getting ready for the day, doing school, cooking ahead whenever I can put something in the freezer for the afternoons we get home late, trying to keep up on chores and prepping for school the next day later into the evening.  I really love educating our girls at home.  This week we have read about different kinds of sparrows in the Burgess Bird Book, worked on beginning addition, studied a Mary Cassatt painting, finished learning all the lowercase cursive letters, and many other things already! The girls went on a new hike with their daddy on Monday while I was down with a 24 hour flu (yuck) and they spent timing building a fort and had a picnic. 

I haven't made very much forward movement on my sweater but a little here and a little there late in the evening before collapsing into bed.  I'm making rather better headway on my book, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, and am so impressed by the quality of writing and story telling it contains.  The latest installment of The Penderwicks is also so sweet. 

Joining with Ginny's Yarn Along.

4 comments:

  1. lovely knitting and a nice couple of books you are reading! I hpe to make lots of progress today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homeschooling is just the best! Your book sounds interesting and I just adore The Penderwicks. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're feeling better! The sweater is going to be worth the wait. I will have o look up Jonathan Strange!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so resonate with your words about flying through the day trying to get ready for the day. Ha! And homeschooling--YES. So much work, but seriously the best ever. I haven't read the Penderwicks but now am curious to check it out, since you and I seem to like similar books!

    ReplyDelete