Tuesday, April 11, 2017

coming up



















The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still.  Exodus 14:14  -- Our memory verse for this week.

Spring break was a much needed change last week!  I was so thankful for a little time to rest, work in the garden, and visit family for a couple days, and plan and prepare for the rest of our school year.  I can't believe we have only eight more weeks before we change things up for summer break.  How glad I am that I have a game plan for the weeks ahead.  For several weeks I have been reading Happy Times in Noisy Village by Astrid Lindgren and this morning we finished it.  What a delightful read!  In our "morning basket" time I try to choose a selection that Rosie will really appreciate, like Beatrix Potter, along with a few different longer books, like Noisy Village or Winnie-the-Pooh.  We have been loving Life of Fred during this morning time as a fun addition to our math curriculum, and I've kind of been developing our own Spanish curriculum using picture books, songs, and occasionally videos.  That's been a challenge but I finally am happy with the direction we're going for now.  

Do you plan for the summer with your kids?  I think we might continue with a few things that feel "fun" - Life of Fred which they rejoice over, maybe Spanish so we can continue to move ahead a little bit, and lots of reading that I might need to prepare in advance for, since our library's selection is very mediocre when it comes to really good children's literature.  

The girls come in with handfuls of kale (which overwintered) from the garden and discovered some carrots that were frozen in the ground all winter so they dug those up and have been chopping them up into their own "salads" with the kale.  The carrots are fine but they look slightly shriveled and totally unappetizing to me and I just laugh.  In the garden everything is coming up: lettuce, spinach, radishes, carrots, bok choy, onions, peas... my potatoes are still under the earth with no signs of life but one of these days I know they will make an appearance.  

My "Love and Joy" cross-stitch sampler was finished today, just in time to start a new spring sampler!  We dyed eggs with friends and I caught up on laundry and started some chick eggs in the incubator just for fun.  We'll see if they hatch!  Apparently I think 18 chickens isn't enough for us, so why not try for half a dozen more...I'm sure I'm crazy.  But why not be a little crazy if it makes life more fun, right? 

2 comments:

  1. your stitching is gorgeous! I waited too late to buy the kit....now I wish I had. Have a great break and a very happy joyful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how your cross stitch turned out. And all the lovely photos - just a delight! Wishing you and the family a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete