Wednesday, June 14, 2017

pleasant surprises



  












I am so amazed when I think about all the natural beauty we are surrounded with here in central Washington.  We can drive just a fairly short distance and reach oceans, mountains, plateaus and prairies, glaciers, river gorges, waterfalls, and more.  Today was a day off for Jesse so we hopped in the car and drove an hour and half to the Columbia River and planned to visit a museum I had known about but never really researched.  I was so pleasantly surprised by the experience!  Since we were able to get in free because our library provides a free family pass to the Maryhill Museum of Art (which meant I really wasn't sure if it would be that great since free doesn't always equal stunning), it was well worth the plan and if it was a bust we'd just head further down the Washington/Oregon border to some little hike or something.  No hike needed.... the art museum was incredible, housed in a mansion atop the Columbia Gorge, right above the river rushing by below.  The museum had a big variety of exhibits, but our favorites were the Native American articles from all over North America; Plateau tribes, Coastal tribes, California tribes, Southwest tribes, Inuit tribes.  The collection of baskets and baby boards and tools and photographs was beautiful and I wished I had more time in there but the kids were getting antsy.  I had no idea there was a pretty large collection of Rodin sculptures as well which was my other favorite.  Many of his plaster casts were there which was fun to think about - practice models for the marble work later.  There were also several Greek artifacts from several thousand years ago!  The grounds contain several outdoor sculptures and a picnic area, so we enjoyed relaxing in the grass and since I am recovering from a sinus infection, I rested while Jesse took the girls around to see the sculptures.  It was a sweet day and the girls were sad to leave. It was quiet and calm with no crowds, and we really only got through half of the museum or so, so another trip is in our future.

While I rested I worked on my newest knit:  a little short sleeved shirt (pattern: Sorello) for Millie in some gifted Fancy Image Yarn yarn from a sweet reader here.  Isn't the yarn stunning?!  I am thrilled by the bright vibrant colors as they unfold in each row and Millie says, "Oh mom!  Is that for me!!?"

1 comment:

  1. are you going to weave a basket? I did that years ago with friends in Texas and enjoyed it. Lovely knitting and that yarn brings a big smile to my face!

    ReplyDelete