Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Note: Locally

I have been considering for the past few days - well, for much longer than that really, but fully considering the last few days - attempting to buy all our produce from local growers. Because we don't have a garden to supplement our budget, and can't exactly own chickens or goats in an apartment, it would be too hard to do what Barbara Kingsolver's family did but I do think it would be doable to buy all of our produce and as much as we can of other food from local farms or produce stands. It might be more expensive, but I really do believe that this is a wise way to use the money God has given us - turning it around and obeying His command to take care of the earth. Maybe I'm turning into a "wacko environmentalist" but there seems to be a lot lost in the form of community when local growers go under.
A few of the practical ways we have discussed in order to make this work:

1) Stop eating out (not that we do THAT often, but often enough that if we put that money into produce, it would help)

2) Plan my meals around what I already have rather than going out and buying new groceries and produce each week.

3) Try to buy fruits and veggies in bulk this summer and make my first attempt at canning. I might need to read up on it, but it might be a really fun girl-project with a friend or two, and we could both reap the fruit of our labor while making time pass faster and making the load lighter. It would enable us to continue to eat locally-bought produce into the winter months.

4) Read Kingsolver's book for more ideas and inspiration. I've just put it on hold at the library, and the list of holds wasn't too long, so hopefully it'll come soon.

In addition to supporting the local produce, I believe I would be less apt to throw away produce if I planned our meals around what produce was in season locally and due to the increased cost, valued it more. So in summary: it seems like this is a good direction to walk in and begin to explore as a couple - it isn't something I alone feel strongly about, but something that we both feel strongly about. In fact, I probably feel strongly about it due to changes in my mindset and lifestyle brought about by being best friends with and married to Jesse. I love how that works.

If you're interested in joining me, or already practice something like this, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment