Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Encouragement Challenge Day 4 and 5


I guess I'm being a little erratic here, but that's how my life looks sometimes, especially since I am working full time in my internship and trying to make time for friends and family too!

However, I did want to write about yesterday's challenge, since it was an interesting day for that particular challenge. I didn't really read it until last night, so I wasn't as intentional about encouraging Jesse as I probably should have been. This is what she says:
Some women take their husband's career for granted, and they show it in many ways. Do you "dump" on your husband at the end of the workday, or do you strengthen and encourage him with your words? A wise wife will make her husband feel that she values and appreciates his work. Let him know that you are glad he is a hard worker. Take opportunities to praise his diligence and resourcefulness to others.

If your husband is out of work, unable to work, or refuses to work, you'll need to be more creative. Praise him for a character quality that you see in him that would be a vital part of a successful career—such as persistence, decisiveness, strength, an analytical mind, organizational skills, good with people, good listener, determination, etc.

This was especially challenging because Jesse just heard back yesterday from a job interview he had a week ago, and he didn't get the job teaching English at the junior high. We were pretty disappointed and frustrated, since this would have been what we would consider an ideal job. It's close, he does a lot of substitute teaching at this school, etc. However, no one that interviewed got the job and they're opening it back up. Jesse has considered talking to the principal about the fact that it was his first job interview for teaching ever, and that he didn't feel as prepared for it, and maybe re-applying. There are also other positions open that would be good as well. So, in the midst of all this, Jesse actually encouraged me by showing me he was on top of everything and trying to think about where to go next. Now it's my job to get behind him, no matter what God has for him and us. I know God's ways are better than my ways and his thoughts better than my thoughts, so I need to trust Him to care for us and provide, which he always does.
Re: day 5
"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers." Eph. 4:29

Another way to describe the positive side of this "30-Day Encouragement Challenge" is by using the word "edify," which means, "to build up." Negative comments only discourage and tear down. Positive comments encourage and build.

Do you edify your husband before others, adding to his value in their eyes? This is especially important to other family members.

Do you praise your husband to his relatives, and yours? Does your husband's mother know how much you love him? How about your dad? Perhaps you can drop a word of praise into a conversation or letter. Be creative in letting your relatives know that you respect your husband, love him, and support him - in spite of whatever flaws and weaknesses he may have.

This is a fun challenge today, since I love building up Jesse to others. Maybe I will give my mother-in-law a call this afternoon to chat and make sure I thank her for raising such a wonderful son. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment