Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sick

Well, I guess the upside of being under the weather in summer is that I have a chance to read some new blogs. I've been struggling to emerge on top of a nasty cold since last Friday, and while I no longer have a fever, I now have a lovely hacking cough complete with congested sinuses, sore throat, and if I go too long before dosing up on Advil, a lovely headache. Needless to say, I decided that work was out, since parents don't usually like to come to speech therapy and leave with disease! I opted to stay home, and my mother whom I love so dearly and who works as receptionist at the same therapy center, brought over some cough medicine and lunch on her break. We sat discussing blogging (among other things) and she recommended a few places I should read for fun this afternoon.

1) Kelli at There is No Place Like Home has a beautiful blog that filled me with peace and yearning for the peace that floats through her posts so gently. In her recent post "Bed in Summer" she asked the question "What is your favorite way to spend a summer evening? Do you have a special memory to share?"
The answer I left in her comment box:
One of my favorite childhood memories was going with my family and a few other families (so there were lots of kids) to the nearby beaches of Lake Washington and for the afternoon, and then having an evening picnic when the dads got off work and joined us. We played in the water and in the sand, making elaborate sand structures and fortresses that, of course, never held against the beating of the waves. We often stayed until dusk, and the beach slowly became more and more deserted as families trickled home. I treasure the memories of those beach excursions that our parents probably enjoyed just as much as we did.
2) I already read Annie's blog frequently but I thought I would just mention that I love it and I think she is one of the strongest women I have ever come across. I feel silly saying that because I don't know if I've ever even left a comment on her blog and even if I had, I only know her through her blog, but honestly, she is so uplifting and encouraging to others, even in the midst of some really serious trials she and her family have been through. I really like reading Annie's blog and right now she is giving away a personally designed signature to someone who leaves a comment - so since I haven't yet commented, this is good incentive to start, huh?

3) I'm just headed over to read Stacy's blog: Exceedingly Mundane. My mom thought I'd really like her blog, so I am excited to head over and poke around for a while. Hopefully I won't disturb her with all my coughing and sniffling!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you're right! this post does entitle you to a siggy. Just let me know what you want it to look like and say and I'll email you the sig.

    Thanks for your sweet words.

    feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, here's my name on your blog! Knock me over with a feather :)

    I'm so glad you stopped by... I've been really behind on both email and blog reading, so forgive me for not stopping by sooner. Please come back anytime!

    Have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete