Monday, August 09, 2010

one man's trash is my treasure

Recently we have stumbled across a few treasures. At Goodwill the other day, I found this beautiful solid wood push toy for $7 and I couldn't believe it!! I'm sure it would have cost a fortune if we bought it new, and since I have a deep-seated love for wooden toys, we couldn't pass this up. It was in near perfect condition and just needed to be wiped down a bit. I think it's supposed to be a little doll stroller based on the seat and tray. Lyddie has already fallen in love with it and likes to spin the little figures and stand gripping the handle.

A few weeks back we were walking out to our car and I saw this little table by the dumpster. It was painted solid black, but it looked like it had a little potential to be restored and be a little gem for my home. Jesse started sanding it down and we were shocked to find a beautiful inlay pattern underneath the thick and ridiculous coat of black paint.
Why would anyone paint over this? Different kinds of wood interlock to make the floral pattern. It's still a work in progress and Jesse is hoping he can get a lot of the black paint out of the carvings on the legs, but we'll see what he can do. It's looking beautiful.
We made a little splurge, probably irresponsibly, on this duvet cover set at IKEA yesterday. We went in to do a little gift-shopping for friends and family but I knew going in that I wanted to look at duvets. I have long wanted another bedspread to change in and out with the quilt we have already, and I need to do a little repair work on our quilt anyway. I love this pretty duvet that goes over our down comforter (yes, I realize it's August. That's how cold the weather has been here) and it was really reasonable, so we just went for it. It brightens up our bedroom so much. It's a much more white than the photo at the bottom shows.
Isn't it pretty? I love it!

2 comments:

  1. I love your treasures and can't wait to see Lyddie with her new toy!
    xoox
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention that I love the bobble heads--sooooo romantic!
    xoxxo ;~)

    ReplyDelete