Thursday, February 03, 2011

Tending to Yourself

Just reminiscing... it's hard to believe we're headed back to this tiny-baby stage with a totally different child!

In my Bible study last night, I was reading about Paul's exhortation to the Ephesian elders (Acts 20) to guard themselves and their flock. And an old lesson hit me again - As a mommy, I have a little flock; currently only with one little sheep but it is growing! It is hard to make sure you're guarding and tending to your own needs very well as a mother of little ones, but just as leaders of the "bigger flocks" (like pastors) need to be feeding themselves on His word and grace and meeting their needs as a "whole person" before they can even be a benefit to those around them, so must we!

So today I resolve to: rest and read for pleasure for at least 30 minutes (and not as I'm drifting off to sleep at bedtime!), fold the laundry from yesterday so I don't go crazy dodging around the mountains of clean clothes, listen to some encouraging music, and meet this morning with other women at church. I have a long to-do list every day that is getting hard to complete as I plod into my third trimester, so I also resolve to reorganize my work and put aside a few of the demands on myself. I have been battling some anxiety about this pregnancy that I never really had with Lyddie, and I think feeling like I'm either never "done" or trying to maintain my normal level of activity and being exhausted isn't helping, which is probably a sure indicator I need to cut back somewhere!

If you're reading this - (if there even is anyone...), what do you resolve for today that will care for your own needs so you can better love and serve those God has given into your care?

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness.It hard to remember her that size! I am sorry you are feeling anxious--is there anything I can help with? You know I love you bunches...and tonight, to take care of myself? I hope to knit like crazy on Lyddie's dress so I can get started on something cute and adorable for little miss Amelia. :)
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete