Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Yarn Along, July 31


On my needles:  Still working away at Lyddie's Sunday Sweater.  It's really a fast enough knit that I know I could have it done by now but probably only at the sacrifice of keeping up on laundry and keeping the toys from becoming one big jumbled chaotic mess!  Since I snapped this picture yesterday, I was able to finish up one sleeve. 

On the pages:  I picked up The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo at the library earlier this week, which I have been wanting to read.  I finished it in one day, reading just while nursing the baby and while eating lunch after the girls went down to nap.  It was that good, I was so hooked from the first page, as I knew I would be - I mean, it's Kate DiCamillo!  I just loved it.  I picked up The Elephant's Magician by her as well but haven't started it.  I am also reading On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson but have to confess I am not completely hooked yet.  My husband read it and the second book in the trilogy and promised it's worth the slow start and I believe it is, since Andrew Peterson is one of my favorite storyteller songwriters. I am also slowly reading The Art of the Commonplace by Wendell Berry, a book of essays by one of my favorite writers.  

There is a large fire raging on the other side of the hills surrounding the valley where we live and the smoke is bad this week.  My Lyddie, bless her heart, has gotten to stay out late two nights in a row and was either over-tired yesterday or maybe affected by the smoke but complained of a headache all day, which is really unlike her.  I will be keeping them inside again today as much as seems reasonable, especially if she has the same complaint.  They don't mind getting to watch a little extra TV, though, since I have re-limited their TV time now back to normal the past few weeks now that we are kind of getting into a routine here after Rosie's arrival.  

What about you?  Are there fires near you this summer?  I just learned Washington state has banned all fires until September 30, which is going to be a disappointment for our camping trip in a few weeks.  
Join us over at Ginny's for Yarn Along!

4 comments:

  1. I am doing my usual Coffee...Post pattern...peek in and see what everyone else is creating.

    What a pair of cutie's! OH my gosh I just want to squeeze them both.

    I am way over on the east coast, but all my heart I hope you stay safe and Lyddie starts to feeling better.

    With All That I Am
    Carrie - The Handmade Homemaker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! We are quite safe since the fires aren't near enough to reach us but the smoke... oh yuck! We are praying for all the people fighting the fire though! Popping over to visit you!

      Delete
  2. Edward Tulane is wonderful. We bought both it and The Magicians Elephant on CD. We are still waiting for the Magician's Elephant to come but we've already heard it once and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:41 PM

    Really loving the sweater, I've this lined up for my bigger girls in particular, I like getting patterns that will do a range of the children. Just sorting out yarn that needs to be purchased for it. It seems my girls and boys to will have some garments finally ! Thanks for the info on the books I'll check those out as my own library reads are coming to an end. Our own children sure woulnd't mind some xtra tv time, perhaps if the rain returns and it gets especially bad but normally it's limited only to the older ones. I hope your camping trip can still go ahead despite the ban on fires.

    ReplyDelete