Saturday, October 19, 2013

Butter

This fall I have been reading Little House in the Big Woods to Lyddie every afternoon. I was a little hesitant since I thought it might be over her head still but after reading it again myself thought she would enjoy it.
She loves the stories Pa tells to Laura and Mary and giggles each time. She is also fascinated (as am I) with the self-sufficiency of their lives and the detailed descriptions of all the tasks. Making butter, for instance. She said " I wish we could make butter like that." And though we don't have a butter churn, I had seen several things online in the past about making butter in a mason jar from cream.
So we did. It was a fun experiment and the girls both enjoyed watching the cream thicken. I was surprised at the sudden transformation when it separated into butter and buttermilk.
Lyddie was just disappointed that we don't have a butter mold like Ma, but I was able to form it into a stick shape and salt it and it tastes...like... butter from the store!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:11 AM

    It's amazing how quick this comes together. It's wonderful to experiment with something and for the children to see the results.

    ReplyDelete