Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Ups and Downs






  
Where did this week go?  It's been busy and full of ups and downs.  

Everyone here except me has been sick for a few days!  How I have so far escaped this bug, I don't know but I'm thanking the Lord because it's a miserable one. At one point this morning, I had all three girls on my lap and they coughed in synchrony while Jesse coughed a few seconds later in the other part of the room. No one covered their mouths which were inches from my face.  So if I'm sick in the next few days... well, you know why!

My knitting has been torn out and redone in a smaller size since my toddler Amanda hat was turning out more like an adult size.  Actually, it was an adult size, since it fit my head.  I am much happier with it and think it will fit at least one of my girls here soon!  In reading news, I finished The Book of the Dun Cow and won't say much except that it is one of my favorite books in over a year.  So I picked up Farmer Boy  again which went well with our TV watching of "Frontier House" (so fun!).  Somehow I have never read it; I think the name "Almanzo" bothered me as child, but I really am enjoying it now- maybe even more than the Laura and Mary stories!  I was pleased to come across the children's picture book of the same story in the library earlier this week and Lyddie and Millie enjoyed hearing it read aloud over lunch today. I am also picking up When Children Love to Learn as a re-read.

We are painting our bedroom some crazy colors (which is part of why my knitting hasn't grown much this week)!  After living in white-walled apartments our whole married life before moving here and then buying this house of ALL white (we're talking.. white ceilings, trim, walls, doors, doorknobs, hinges, cupboards, shelves...), I was excited with the color scheme we picked.  It's really whimsical!  The walls are "Opalescence," and the trim is "China blue," with an accent wall and a couple doors in "Salsa Diane" - a pinky red.  I really love it.

Since we have a family history of hip dysplasia (myself, my grandmother, my great-grandmother), my doctor referred me for a routine x-ray to rule it out in finality for Rosie, and this morning we got a call from the pediatrician's office with the news that while the scan was negative for hip dysplasia, another hip anomaly was identified and we are being referred to Seattle Children's Orthopedic clinic.  I don't know what the future holds for us as we pursue more information and treatment but I would love prayers for peace of mind and a quick referral process.  

P.S.  Jesse read through this blog post as I wrote it and continually corrected my punctuation.  Afterward he walked away telling me how much he loves punctuation, how it's an art form, and how he loves to use all kinds of punctuation because it adds beauty and grace to writing.  That's some true punctuation love and in effort to show him how much I love  him, I have exhibited more care over my punctuation in this post.  In case you noticed more hyphens and semi-colons.

Joining up with Ginny's Yarn Along - won't you join too?

10 comments:

  1. I will be praying for you and your little one. We used to have white everything and when I wanted to paint in off white my husband was skeptical. It ended up looking very lovely but still took some convincing. Here's hoping you have more time to knit this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for y'all- I hope y'all all get to feeling better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now I'm curious what color "opalescence" is. And come for tea when you are in Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picture opals... and that's it! Ha! Just kidding - it's a pinkish brownish purplish shade. I really like it and love that it shifts color depending on how the light hits it. I would love to have tea with you sometime! If not this visit (which may be a whirlwind) then another time!

      Delete
  4. Chuckling at your punctuation commentary. I have to admit that I love (truly) the rules of grammar and writing even though I'm not the most skilled. Homeschooling has been such a blessing in that regard as having taught and taught, I have had multiple refresher courses. :) So sorry about your little one's hip troubles; will keep you all in my prayers for wisdom as you go forward. Farmer Boy is our family's favorite of all the Little House books. Hope you will share a picture once painting is finished! Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually love grammar and punctuation too but let it go a little bit when pounding out blog posts as fast as I can in order to keep this little journal alive! But while I enjoy it, I don't to the extent that my English-major husband does! haha!

      Delete
  5. I also love Farmer Boy more than the other Little House books in many ways. Kind of like reading Little Men was almost better than reading Little Women (although that's a bit of a stretch, since Little Women is so fantastic in so many ways that Little Men is just a different type of story and I really shouldn't compare them).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful sunsets! The bug has been going around - I'm trying to keep it away from me too. I'll be praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee. I posted a comment about grammar and praying for sweet Rosie. After I posted, I noticed my grammar was atrocious and needed to be deleted!

    ReplyDelete