Friday, September 11, 2015

golden times









  


  

These end of summer days are a golden time with the sunsets creeping earlier but the days warm enough still to splash in the hose.  Today was a good day for washing bicycles and tricycles, apparently.  The training wheels have come off {and don't you worry your little head about absence of the helmet; we do things low-key here in the country where kids learn to ride up and down on your gravel driveway and it'll get done one of these days}.  We need to get into town with the bikes/trikes soon while the weather is still lovely and go for a ride on the long city trail; my kids would love that.  I don't know if you can tell from her huge smiles or anything, but Lyddie really liked practicing without the training wheels.  She doesn't quite have it down yet, though it won't be long. 

Our sweet Hush, cat of three years, made her weekly appearance to the delight of us all.  Just enough time to get some petting and eat a few bites before disappearing again.  I think one of the neighbors has adopted her, and as she's an outdoor cat and our dog thinks chasing her is great fun I don't know of a way to really keep her around more.  I miss her, though, she is a really sweet kitty and one I always especially connected with even more than our other two I think. 

Because we were housebound and sick earlier in the week I had to be creative a few evenings in creating dinners entirely from the pantry.  I always have only wonderful things to say about pretty much every recipe at Mel's Kitchen Cafe and the Skillet Creamy Macaroni and Cheese was no different!  Definitely not one of her "lighter" recipes but good in a pinch for a group where children are in the majority.

That SPIDER!  What about that?!  Its abdomen is at least an inch long! I saw it from across the garden when it caught a cabbage white butterfly.  At first I thought it must be a bumblebee but when I crept closer, was able to see that it was definitely a spider wrapping up its prey.  From my online research, I think it's a "cat-faced spider."  Anything that wants to eat those cabbage whites hovering and laying eggs in my brussels sprouts have a welcome home in my garden!  

You know it's a good night when Daddy reads a book and pretends to be a gorilla along with you.  Such big smiles.

Jesse and I just finished re-watching season 3 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer- ah!  So good!  Have you seen it? It's really fun to watch it once a week and listen to the Dusted podcast for that episode.  I'm such a Joss Whedon fan (geek?) that I went back to rewatching Dollhouse for a second time while I was sick. 

Happy September, friends.  What are the beauties surrounding you this week?

2 comments:

  1. you have a beautiful life :) The herd of deer have returned to grazing in our yard and they stood a long time for me while I snapped photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful photos, happy sigh :) thank you so much for linking up. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete