Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Viridescent






For Yarn Along this morning I'm featuring a new pattern that is being released today by Lisa at Happy in Dole Valley.  I test knit this beautiful shawl over the past week in Duplicity Fingering from AmandaMakesYarn.  Viridescent was a delight to knit and the yarn was lovely to work with - so, so soft and such a lovely colorway.  (I should mention that Amanda included a darling DPN holder in my order which she is selling in her shop as well - go check it out!) Because of the elongated stitch rows, this shawl knit up so fast with such a delicate, open look, and I think the gentle ruffle gives it a feminine air without being too fiddly.  Follow the link to Lisa where you can find out about the pattern and a giveaway! 

I haven't cast on anything else since finishing; I had a few other projects that needed ends woven in and blocking, but those are finished so I'm a little aimless.  I'd like to knit a few smaller things for my girls to have ready for Christmas gifts and that use yarns I already have in my stash. (Actually I wish I had the money to buy Maggie Rabbit supplies because if I don't, I have a feeling it would be a small regret someday that I would always wish I'd done.)  Rabbits aside, ideally I'd like to find a good children's Fair Isle mitten pattern, or maybe a really good kids slipper pattern, which I've never really found.  Any recommendations? 

I'm mainly re-reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I picked it up before realizing a new Harry Potter book was being released... at all.  I'm so out of the loop. I also keep picking up For the Children's Sake by Susan Schaeffer Macauley and Own Your Life by Sally Clarkson while also listening to The Count of Monte Cristo on CraftLit and a whole host of Burgess books with my girls on Librivox in the car.  Did you know Librivox has an app now?  Our audiobook world expanded so much when I discovered that!

We just started watching the new Netflix show everyone is raving about - "Stranger Things."  Have you seen it?  It's so intense, and so incredibly well made.  Reminiscent of the movie "Signs" in the way it feels (not in the story line really), it also makes me think of a less meandering "Twin Peaks" with which it shares several plot elements.  It's very good, and almost too scary for me, but not quite; not yet anyway.  There are not many things I'd like to binge-watch anymore (is that a sign that I'm getting old?) but "Stranger Things" would make the list. 

10 comments:

  1. beautiful shawl and lovely photos!! I haven't heard of that show but I'll check it out on netflix :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That came out gorgeous. Love the soft pink. Dang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this is so beautiful. I am hesitant to knit with such light yarn, because I am afraid the project would take so long to complete, but those open stitch patterns make me rethink my mindset. So soft, with just the right amount of ruffles!

    So you are the second person today to mention Stranger Things...I may have found a new one to watch! *hugs* :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a pretty slow knitter but was able to complete this in about a week and a half! It was a great knit, fingering is really my favorite to work with anyway but I think a fingering weight sweater would take quite some time! Thanks!

      Delete
  5. The shawl is gorgeous!

    I clicked over and Maggie Rabbit is adorable.

    I started The Life-Giving Home by Sally and Sarah Clarkson earlier this year and then interrupted it with other reading, but have picked it up here and there again. I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have heard good things about that book but haven't picked it up yet. I think I will eventually!

      Delete
  6. I am knitting socks for my little people for Christmas. I have one pair done and one pair started. It's a fun way to use up little scraps of yarn.

    ReplyDelete