Saturday, December 29, 2012

Evening Moment

The water gurgles down the drain as I bend to pick up miniature socks and jeans.  The small blue shirt folded on the bathroom counter for stain-removal later.  Squeals and shrieks from the living room and I pause in the doorway, hidden and sight blocked by the piano jutting out in front of me.  I lean my head against the door frame and close my eyes, soaking in the joy of little voices playing with daddy on the floor, dancing and spinning in big strong arms, then crashing together to the floor.  Little bodies I know are still bare and squeak with cleanliness dashing and darting to and from tickles.  I don't need to see to know the scene; it's one that has played out before me many times and every time brings a smile to my lips.  But I can't resist and I peek around the corner, hoping to observe unobserved; and another happy memory is branded.  I am pulled to the celebration of love and family and bring lotion to start smoothing and caring for delicate, translucent arms and legs, backs and full bellies, then clothing with warm, clean jammies.  Surprise lights faces at the reappearance of little treats that have come from Santa and we continue our game of silliness, shooting candies across the room and giggling at the search, maybe giggling more at the giggles than the hunt.

And I rejoice at the gift of a moment, passing, fleeting, but noticed and honored by thanksgiving to my Father, the giver of every good gift.

Yet I ache for those who long for this gift, childless mothers and motherless children who don't even know to long for this, the beauty of family and light and love.  All my rejoicings now are tinted with ache at the brokenness and I cry "Come, Lord Jesus!"  Come, and place the orphans and widows in homes of love as You have for me!


Truly He taught us to love one another;

His law is love and His gospel is peace; 
Chains shall He break, for the slave is our brother,
And in His name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name;
Christ is the Lord,
Oh, praise His name forever!
--From O Holy Night

No comments:

Post a Comment