Saturday, May 11, 2013

New Life Everywhere




 






I might have broken the rules a little and hopped outside for the first time all week tonight.  I figured a few minutes outside seeing firsthand all the exciting things coming up in the garden wasn't going to hurt anything, and it really was just a few.  But wow, what a change has occurred on our little homestead in the past two weeks!  The hot weather (we've been in the 90's all week!) has made the garden (and weeds) shoot up, made the irises and lilacs mostly fade.  It was still in the 80s this evening and it was glorious to be outside, even for five minutes!

We have these beautiful yellow irises that came up and surprised me today.  Last year the puppies chewed them up and they didn't bloom, and I kept seeing the flower (pictured above) out the window thinking maybe it was a dried up purple iris until I went out to investigate myself.  It's breathtaking!  New life is everywhere, and not just in the form of my sweet baby!  We have three new chicks, our very first home-hatched additions to our flock.  They are a cross between a Barred Rock rooster and a Golden Sex-Linked hen.  Interestingly, they are a golden white and we think one of them is a cockerel, since his comb is coming in fast and bright red!  We just stuck our other (mean) rooster in the freezer, so we'll see if this one will be a better fit for our family.  

We have lots of yummy things coming up that my dear husband has planted while I've been out of commission this spring:  potatoes, squash, tomatoes, lettuces, some tiny new strawberry starts, and you can see our big bushy 2nd year raspberry bushes!  I am really eager for fresh raspberries on granola or pancakes this summer and hopeful we can get to them before the birds.

I am still knitting away on my little Milo vest in a 6 month size for Rosemary and it is keeping my hands busy while I lay here.  I have new yarn on the way to make a couple tops for my "big girls" that I will start next week and it is nice to have something like that to look forward to!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment