Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Knitting with Toddlers






I miss writing.  This month it seems that I can get about one post out a week and it's a pretty formulaic one.  I have been working really hard to follow my weight watchers plan, complete with evening workouts which just bites into my time to do other things.  It is so worth it to feel my endurance increase and hope for more health in time but cutting back on some of my favorite things has been a trying result. 

Be that as it may, I am trying hard not to cut out my knitting too much since it's such a rebuilding thing for me.  So I continue to plug along right now on my Radiance shawl but *gasp* I have to tell you, I cannot recommend knitting with a toddler on your lap.  If they stand up suddenly, you may lose lots of tiny lacy stitches and have to rip out two whole rows to ensure you picked them all up again.  Not that I know this from experience or anything.  I have some new yarn on the way so new projects will be arriving on my needles soon!

I am still reading  The Magicians by Lev Grossman and am engrossed in it.  It's not for the faint of heart, having some raw and rough content but it's really really interesting to me.  I am also listening to Herland through CraftLit and for now I am not at all sure I like it but, being the rabid listener that I am, I will see it through.  It is a bit theoretical on theories I don't really buy into, and instead of being a really good story it's kind of like hearing a feminist lecture about the virtues of women that could be revealed in the absence of men and sexuality -  set in a sort of a story. Not quite my cup of tea but the reader is fabulous and I still enjoy the conversations that happen around the book.  

Click over to Ginny's to join in the crafty fun!  :)

14 comments:

  1. I can imagine a toddler wiggling on your lap and seeing stitches falling, eep! Fun times and I do miss that once in a while. I have no excuse when I drop stitches....I am trying to get back into a routine of sorts here as well. Life does get busy! Love your lace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only learned to knit about five years ago so I never had to worry with babies or toddlers, my babies are mostly grown, but I can see where it would be a problem. My sister is following Weight Watchers and loves it. It's hard to fit everything in, but our health is so important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:31 AM

    Good luck with your projects

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are lovely! I especially like the top one! The radiance shawl is so pretty, I can't wait to see the finished result. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had my kids trip over yarn or bump my hand which causes me to rip out stitches. Thankfully I'e been able to pick them up and it wasn't noticeable. If it were lace I might cry and not pick the project up for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in a funk for the whole evening and next day, because who can really be mad at a 20 month old who accidentally knocks stitches off? But I was irritable and anxious about the next evening when I knew I would have to face the music. It wasn't as bad as I thought, I think I've gotten better at fixing mistakes in the past few years!

      Delete
  6. Look forward to seeing Radiance! I know what you mean about knitting with little ones. I tend to wait until after they are all in bed to knit anything complicated as I find it too hard to keep putting it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! But we were all watching a movie together and I was so itching to have my hands busy so I thought I could manage it. I should have been smart and put it aside after she came over!

      Delete
  7. You are brave for knitting that with little ones around! It is hard to give up free time sometimes in order to do something healthy but it's totally worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the toodlers!

    Here's my WIP: http://mibruno.com/en-proceso-142/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Donna! I've knit with my Charlotte on my lap, but I always give her a small ball of scrap yarn to play with (which, of course, ends up unwound all over the place!). One day your girls will be knitters, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the look of that pink fiber! Looks beautiful :) It was lovely stumbling upon your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son is a little over 8 months old, and I already think he's like a cat. He LOVES grabbing at my yarn and trying to pull at my needles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:00 PM

    I'm listening along to Herland too. It's not my usual fair so I appreciate how it's being delivered. For me the context H frames around it makes it a slightly easier pill to swallow.

    ReplyDelete