Thursday, December 10, 2015

glimpses: winter food











The snow pictures are a few days old but I hadn't had a chance to even look at them until recently. It was so cold on that little walk that it was very short but nice to get some fresh air. 

A lot of cooking happening here lately even though my countertops are currently ripped up until Jesse has time to install the new ones.  I haven't taken any food pictures, largely because I don't feel like I have any idea what to do with food photography but I'm going to share links to several of my current favorites, and if you want to drool a little, click through!

 These broiled tilapia tacos from Mel's Kitchen Cafe are delicious and so fast and simple, they really do come together in 30 minutes.   


My girls couldn't get enough of this skillet creamy macaroni and cheese also from Mel's Kitchen Cafe, another 30 minute meal.  And they eat this Roasted Potatoes, Chicken Sausage, and Peppers from skinnytaste like it's candy!



My great-grandmother always made homemade egg noodles in a thickened broth with turkey or chicken for holidays and after she passed away I was the only one willing to try to replicate it.  It is a favorite with me and my brothers.  I have tried this egg noodle recipe and technique a couple times this month and finally got exactly the result I was hoping for a few nights ago!  This feeds us for a few meals and is a great way to use up turkey leftovers and homemade turkey broth.  The noodles really are not hard like people make them out to be, as long as you just roll and roll and roll them out so they are very thin.  The link above is a great step-by-step guide.

I am usually very boring in the snack department but last week Homemade popcorn balls were a fun treat!  Another very easy recipe that made the kids feel like I had pulled out all the stops for their afternoon snack.  

It makes me so happy when one of my kids exclaims, "Mom, you are the best cook in the world!  You make the best food!!"  I am really enjoying the four week winter meal rotation I made up a few weeks ago and apparently they are too!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had snow. but I don't. thank you for sharing your wintry weather with me!!

    ReplyDelete